Easy Digital Downloads is designed to automatically mark payments as Complete once a purchase has been successfully verified through the payment processor.
If your payments are not being automatically marked as Complete, it usually means that one of several common issues is occurring.
In order for a payment to be marked as complete, Easy Digital Downloads has to be able to communicate with the payment processor, such as PayPal, to verify the purchase. If this communication is blocked or tampered with in any way, it can result in the purchases not get marked as complete, which will also result in download links and purchase receipt emails not getting delivered.
There are several common reasons payments remain as “Pending”:
- PayPal’s Instant Payment Notifications (IPN) system is not enabled or configured properly in your PayPal account
- You have a plugin installed that is blocking the IPN requests
- Your website cannot make remote requests through cURL
- You have rules in your .htaccess file that are blocking the IPN requests
- Your site has too aggressive caching that results in improper update queries
If you are using 2Checkout, please see our setup guide for configuring the 2Checkout INS.